*2017* New Year ** New Desires ** New Hopes** Let all your good wishes come true. Wishing you all a happy and healthy New Year. Let us celebrate with a nutritious sweet.
Iron-rich Pearl Millet(Kambu) Ladoo is a healthy snack for all ages. Say no to junk food and opt for homemade healthy noshes like this. Just one more new year resolution for a healthy life.
I clicked this a year back in last Jan and this was published in Chellamaey magazine for Feb 2016 edition. This pic is still my Gravatar pic and Google Plus profile pic. Recently clicked the steps to post today 🙂
Kambu Ladoo Recipe – Ingredients
Pearl Millet Flour(Kambu Maaavu) – 1 cup
Palm Jaggery(Karupatti) – 3/4 cup(loosely packed)
Water – 1/4 cup
Dry ginger powder(Sukku thool) – 1/4 tsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp
1. Measure required kambu maavu and dry-fry in medium heat for 5-10 mins until nice aroma is released. Let it cool down for 5 mins.2.In a cotton or muslin cloth, place the fried flour and tie as shown below:3.Place one end below and one end top so that no droplet enters inside. Pour a cup of water in idli maker and steam for 10 mins in high flame.4.Once done, take out and open up. Break the lumps. There wasn’t a single drop of water inside for me. If you see any, then just fry for 2 mins in dry pan.5.Grate palm jaggery(Karupatti), add it along with water in a pan and let it boil.6.Add a generous pinch of dry ginger(sukku) powder and let it nicely bubble up.7.If you touch the syrup between your thumb and index finger, it should be sticky. Switch off at this stage and filter the syrup to the flour.8.Mix well with ladle and then add a tablespoon of ghee. Again mix well.9.Shape into laddoos. It will be more greasy and might not hold proper shape initially. Just make roundels as shown in middle thumbnail and leave it for 10-20 mins. Again roll it between your palms to make perfect shape.
Traditional and healthy snack is ready !
- Roasting the flour is to enhance the flavor. Steaming is to cook it.
- Do not heat the syrup so thicker as it would harden the laddoo. Just sticky consistency will suffice. Switch off and use immediately.
- This laddoo will harden over time. Finish off within 2-3 days.
- You can replace palm jaggery/karupatti with cane jaggery/vellam.
- You can replace dry ginger powder with cardamom powder.
Pearl Millet/Kambu – Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium, Iron, Protein, Fibre, Folic acid, Zinc, Selenium, Vitamin B&E
Palm Jaggery/Karupatti – Calcium, Iron, Zinc, Selenium, Magnesium, Potassium, Phosphorus, anti-oxidants, Vitamins B&C