Mother’s milk is the elixir for baby and no magic formula could just replace it. Its a natural secretion process that flows endless for baby on demand. If you ever had the doubt that if my milk is sufficient for my baby, then be sure that it is ! Nature is uniform. Unlike humans, any other mammal could appease its kid without introducing formula. Why can’t we ??
Health Organizations have recommended exclusive breast milk for the first 6 months of babies. When you exclusively breastfeed, even water is not required as all that a baby needs is fully packed in mother’s milk with the smell and taste that attracts baby. Its a free & instant nutritious drink that does magic in building your baby’s health, which is a lifetime gift that you could offer to your child.. What else is required ?
Secret ingredients for adequate milk supply:
- Willingness to breastfeed the baby
- Ample rest
- Stress-free mind
- Sufficient nutrition
If you are beauty-conscious, please note that the baby milk-suckling rate is directly proportional to your uterus contraction rate. The more your baby suckles the milk, the more sooner you will get your tummy back in shape! So, its a natural exercise to get rid of the additional space in your tummy.. but here, the little one(lo) does the exercise for you .. How sweet the lo is !
According to me, it is really a shame for any woman to switch to formula just because you want to relax and be free. But, I know you(my reader) are not such a mom and thats why you are here 🙂
One more good news – After the immediate menstruation post delivery, the second cycle will be delayed as long as you opt for exclusive breast feeding. It is in your hands to delay it for 6 months!
Food for Feeding Moms:
Lactating moms should eat well not only to produce the milk enriched with essential nutrients for the baby but also to compensate the nutrients shared to the baby by your body.
Following foods are tagged as “Milk-secreting foods“:
- Kashaayam – Fenugreek(Methi/vendhayam) water, Fennel(Saunf/sombu) water, Cumin(Jeera) water, Tulsi water, Barley water, Carom(ajwain/omam) water.
- Green Papaya
- Red gram lentil (Masoor dal)
- Dry fish(Karuvaadu)
- Broken wheat
- Oat meal
- Drumstick Leaves
- Ginger tea
- Canola oil,Olive oil,Sesame oil(Nallennai),butter
- Coconut water
- Beetroot, bottle gourd, carrot, Potato, Kohlrabi/Turnip Cabbage/Noolkol
- Pumpkin seeds and melon seeds
- Calcium – Milk, Yogurt(Curd), Lassi, Buttermilk, Ragi(Finger Millet), Oats, Broccoli, Green beans, Ladies finger, Almonds , Oranges, Dried figs, Sesame seeds
- Proteins – Sprouts, Chick peas , Beans, Cheese, Chicken, Red meat, Prawns, Eggs, Almonds, Sunflower seeds, Dairy products, Quinoa, Avocado.
- Iron-rich – Spinach, Broccoli, Pumpkin seeds, Beans and pulses, Nuts(Cashew, Almond, Hazelnut, Peanut), Raisins, Dates, Dried Apricots, Brown rice, Whole-wheat Pasta
- Vitamin A – Carrot, Sweet potato, Dried Apricots, Red pepper(Capsicum), Mango, Tomato, Peas, Papaya
- Vitamin C– Orange, Lemon, Strawberry, Papaya, Pine apple, Kiwi, Mango, Guava, Tomato, Broccoli, Peas, Red & Green Bell Bepper(Capsicum), Cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and Cabbage
- Vitamin B12 – Yogurt, Milk, Almond, Egg, Crab, Red meat
- Folic acid – Spinach, Broccoli, Peas, Asparagus, Papaya, Orange, Avocado, Berries, Beetroot, Carrot, Corn, Cauliflower, Whole-wheat Pasta, Almonds, Peanuts, Sunflower seeds, Flax seeds, all kinds of beans,peas and lentils.
- DHA rich foods – Walnuts , Flaxseeds and Fish
- Whole grains – Quinoa, Whole-wheat bread/pasta, Barley, Brown rice, Corn, Oats and all Millets
Food to be avoided by feeding moms:
- Aerated/fizzy drinks
- Artificial food colors
- Raw/half-boiled eggs
- Unpasteurized cheese/milk
- Broiler chicken as it is said to have growth hormones injected
- Consuming more caffeine might make the baby prone to irritability and have trouble sleeping.