Carom seeds/bishop’s weed/ajowan caraway/ajwain/omam water is the best home remedy for cold, cough, congestion, stomach pain, gas, indigestion and constipation problems.
Ajwain water is the best expectorant that clears chest congestion during common cold.
Oma water is said to calm down a colic child, who cries without stopping(might be due to stomachache/indigestion/gas) even after feeding and comforting.
Carom seeds water cures digestive problems and thus eases constipation issues too.
After a heavy meal, if you feel the stomach is over-full, do not opt for pepsi/coke or other carbonated drinks. Just have a glass of lukewarm ajwain water to aid digestion.
Feeding moms can have oma water for proper digestion and to increase lactation. Also, anti-inflammatory properties of ajwain is said to improve mom’s health, post-delivery.
Ajwain water gives good relief from menstrual cramps too.
Pregnant ladies can have ajwain water to get rid of common pregnancy problems like bloating & heartburns, but in very little quantity(and not frequently as well), as it generates heat.
Ajwain can be given to 7+ months babies.. When introducing first time, start with 1/2 teaspoon. Do not give more than 2 tsp below 1 year. 1 tbsp should be sufficient for 1-2 years babies. After 2 years, you shall gradually increase upto 1/4 cup. All these measures are for ajwain water and not for the seeds !! Just give once in a day and do not give more than 3 days a week.
Ajwain water recipe – Stepwise pics follow the below printable description:
- Carom seeds/ajwain/omam - ¼ tsp
- Palm candy/Panangalkandu - 1 tsp (Optional)
- Water - ½ cup
- Take ¼ tsp carom seeds/omam and crush them between your palms as shown.
- Add crushed ajwain/omam to a dry pan and fry in low flame till nice aroma wafts. Add ½ cup water to it.
- Add a tsp of palm candy(optional) and cook covered in medium flame for 10 mins or until halved.
- Filter through a strainer.
- Press with a spoon to extract till the last drop.
2.Add sweetener only for cold and congestion problems. Do not add any sweetener for digestion related issues.
Preparation – How to make ajwain water?
1.Take 1/4 tsp carom seeds/omam and crush them between your palms as shown.2.Add crushed ajwain/omam to a dry pan and fry in low flame till nice aroma wafts. Add 1/2 cup water to it.3.Add a tsp of palm candy(optional) and cook covered in medium flame for 10 mins or until halved.4.Filter through a strainer.5.Press with a spoon to extract till the last drop.Oma water is ready. Drink warm !!
Tips/Tricks in making oma water
- Some people fry ajwain seeds, powder it and store for instant uses. I do not recommend this, as some essential oils in ajwain will be evaporated in this method.
- Add sweetener only for cold and congestion problems. Do not add any sweetener for digestion related issues.
Nutritional Benefits in oma water
Ajwain/Carom/Omam – Dietary fiber, protein , minerals, vitamins & antioxidants