You don’t wish to instantly grow your child using fortified health drinks available in the market ?? You vote for wholesome food and natural nutrition to support your child’s natural growth and development ?? Then, this post is specially for you 🙂
Homemade is not only hygienic and healthy but also is devoid of artificial colors and preservatives. There are many choices to be used as health drink mix but this instant almond mix tops my list.
Even if you don’t have time to prepare this mix, do soak few almonds a day, peel the skin and share it with your family for better health! Over to the recipe…
Saffron Almond Milk Powder Recipe – Ingredients
Badam/Almonds – 100g
Palm Sugar/Palm Candy/Palm Crystals/Panam Kalkandu- 75g
Saffron – a generous pinch
Cardamom – 3 to 5
1.Wash almonds and soak it in water overnight. The nuts would have swollen in size as shown below.2.Peel off the skin and dry it in hot sun for 1 day. Next day, just crush the nuts using your palm and it will easily break into two.3.Dry it again in sun for 1 day. Once dried, grind the nuts in mixie. Just grind it to coarse powder without any solid bits. Do not grind continuously. Constantly check after 2-3 pulses.4.Grind palm candy, cardamom and saffron strands to fine powder. Mix both powders in a large bowl using clean spatula/spoon. You shall put this mix in an air-tight container and refrigerate.5.Whenever required, add a tablespoon of kesar badam powder to hot milk, mix well and leave it till it becomes warm. Or just pour between 2 glasses repeatedly to make it warm. Either way, finally pour into a strainer to strain out the impurities of palm sugar.
Serve warm or keep this drink in fridge for an hour and serve chilled!
- Soaking of almonds not only aids proper digestion but also helps to fully absorb the richest nutrients present in almonds. So, do not skip this step.
- Do not try to grind almonds to a fine powder as it will end up in paste.
- If you or your kid has a sweet tooth, you shall add an equal(equal to almonds measure) amount of palm sugar.
- You shall dry roast almond before grinding. This is just to enhance the flavour and this too will not give you a fine powder.
- You shall use this mix for 3-4 months, if refrigerated.
- I have used less saffron that was available at the time of making. As I hurriedly made this on the week of my US travel, I couldn’t run to the store to get more. Now I feel that even photo would have been rich if I have topped with some saffron strands over the milk bubbles 🙁
Almonds – Proteins, Iron, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Phosphorous, Zinc, Fiber, Monounsaturated(good) fats, Folic acid, Vitamins B, D& E
Palm Sugar – Calcium, Iron, Phosphorous, Vitamins A, B and C
Milk – Protein , Calcium