Sweet potatoes are rich in Beta-carotenes than carrots. Beta-carotenes are converted to Vitamin A by body. But, Vitamin A is fat-soluble. So, fat is required to absorb vitamin A. Few drops of ghee or butter is added in this puree to supply that fat.
Sweet potato puree has a smooth texture and is loaded with vitamins and minerals. Natural sweetness is an add-on. Being rich in dietary fiber(avoids constipation) too, it is an ideal first solid food for babies. Whenever you start weaning, after introducing liquid food for few days, you shall start this puree.
Sweet Potato Puree Recipe – Ingredients
Sweet Potato – 1 cup diced
Water – 1 cup
Ghee – 1/4 tsp
1.Wash out the mud and dirts. Cut out the desired quantity. Peel off the skin.2.Once peeled, again wash it once and then proceed to cut further.3.Chop them to small pieces. Add it to a pan along with immersing level of water. Cover with a lid and cook in high flame for 10+ minutes. Bubbles might rise upto the lid and water might spill out. Intermittently, open and check.4.After 10 minutes, prick with a fork and check if it is cooked soft. Once cooked, remove from pan and allow it to cool.5.Once cooled, grind to desired consistency using mixie or blender. Add few drops of ghee, mix and feed warm.
- Do not drain the water after cooking. Use the water to make the puree.
- I have used American sweet potato. Indian varieties just differ in colors, but no compromise in nutrition. You shall use any available variety.
- Sweet potatoes can be steamed/baked too for making puree.
- As per traditional method, you shall cook along with skin and then remove it after cooking too. In such case, do not cut. Just cook as a whole.
- You shall feed this puree as such or add some breastmilk/formula.
- Puree consistency varies among babies. Initially, pulse it in mixie and give a smooth paste. Within a month, change to a lil coarse texture by reducing the pulses in mixie or using blender. After a month, change to lil more coarse texture by using mathu/fork/spoon. Then gradually switch to hand mashed food. The tactic is, do not make them accustomed to the same smooth texture.
- Warning! Mother’s milk is sufficient for babies till 6 months. Think twice and discuss with your Paed before starting other food!
Sweet Potato – Dietary Fiber, Protein, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Folates, Vitamins A,B&C