From ages, we all know that pregnant ladies should eat well as they eat for two. But, even before getting pregnant, they have to eat well as their body needed healthy nutrition to produce healthy eggs to be fertilized by healthy sperm. If you are a poor-eater, switch to balanced-eater from now on , after all for your cute little Prince/Princess(would-be) !
Avoid the habit of brunching (late breakfast combined with early lunch). Rather than skipping meals, eat less and increase the number of meal times. Do not starve and let the acid spoil your tummy which will soon become the dwelling place of your dream ! Do eat but don’t just fill something .. Enjoy healthy selections bcoz , “What you sow is what you reap” ..
Food for moms-to-be:
- Have more: Pomegranates – Include a bowl daily
- Avacado and Banana
- Chicken and eggs
- Legumes – Lentils and beans
- Figs, dates and apricots
- Almonds(Badam), Walnuts and pumpkin seeds
- Selenium -Mushroom, Garlic, Onion, Brazil nuts, Walnuts, Seafood, Brown rice, Seeds(Sunflower ,Sesame,Flax), Fish, Meat, Chicken, Barley, Oats, Broccoli, Cabbage, Spinach
- Vitamin B12 – Yogurt, Milk, Almond, Egg, Crab, Red meat
- Vitamin C – Orange, Lemon, Strawberry, Papaya, Pine apple, Kiwi, Mango, Guava, Tomato, Broccoli, Peas, Red & Green Bell Bepper(Capsicum), Cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and Cabbage
- Vitamin D – Almonds, Mushrooms, Egg yolks, Cereals, Oats, Orange and Dairy products. In addition, expose yourself to sun atleast 20 mins a day as sun spurs the body to secrete Vit D.
- Zinc – Sea-foods especially crab, Meat, Egg, Cashew nuts, Dairy, Beans, Peas, Chicken, Mushrooms, Spinach, Garlic, Peanuts, Egg yolks, Brown rice, Chickpeas, Green peas, Kidney beans, Sesame seeds, Pumpkin seeds, Watermelon seeds, Sunflower seeds and Flax seeds
- Iron – Spinach, Broccoli, Pumpkin seeds, Beans and pulses, Nuts(Cashew, Almond, Hazelnut, Peanut), Raisins, Dried Apricots, Brown rice, Whole-wheat Pasta
- DHA-rich foods – Walnuts , Flax seeds and Fish
- Whole grains – Quinoa, Whole-wheat bread/pasta, Barley, Brown rice, Corn, Oats and all Millets
- Folic acid – Spinach, Broccoli, Peas, Asparagus, Papaya, Orange, Avocado, Berries, Beetroot, Carrot, Corn, Cauliflower, Whole-wheat Pasta, Almonds, Peanuts, Sunflower seeds, Flax seeds, all kinds of beans,peas and lentils.
- Calcium – Milk, Yogurt(Curd), Buttermilk, Ragi(Finger Millet), Oats, Broccoli, Green beans, Ladies finger, Almonds , Oranges, Dried figs, Sesame seeds
- Carbohydrates – Oats, Potato, Rice, Cereals, Whole grains, Egg white, Apple, Sweet Potato, Watermelon, Berries, Citrus fruits, Dry fuits and Nuts
- Omega-3 fatty acids – Flax seeds, Walnuts, Kidney beans, Olive oil
- Yams containing fertility-friendly vitamins
- Antioxidants – Berries
- Olive oil/Canola oil
Food to be avoided by moms-to-be:
- Junk the junk food
- Curb coffee
- Forget fizzy drinks
- Restrain from refined sugar. Opt for jaggery, palm sugar.
- Push processed and fried foods away thus avoiding Trans-fats
- Ban broiler chicken with growth hormones.
- Hold off high-mercury fish
I am a mom to be…..I am regularly following your charts….I hv certain queries…it would be great if you clarify it…
1.what are low mercury fishes??
2.you have mentioned chicken in your charts but we get only broiler in my place..what is an alternative???
Eggs also fall under the same category.
3.your charts also include papaya and sesame seeds….Is it ok to consume when we are trying?
Waiting for your valuable reply…
With lots of regards,
1.All large predator fishes will usually have high mercury content..Get normal sized sea fishes.. You shall chk for its mercury content in google..
2.IF u r staying abroad, u will get non-injected hormones-free chicken.. In India, try to get country chicken.. Now, it is available everywhere..
3.Papaya and sesame seeds can be had in small quantity..