Green gram rice mash/Pachai Payaru saadham is a great treat for babies. Babies will love eating this, making moms so happy. Every mom is so special. Wishing “Happy Mother’s day”(May 14th) to all Moms 🙂
The base of this recipe was in a booklet given by my Pediatrician Dr.Siva Bharathi(Kovai Kids Clinic), when I started weaning for Nilaa. He is a trusted physician. He never gives unnecessary medicines. Many times, he has sent us home empty-handed(without medicines), but with fulfilled hearts!! If you are in or near Coimbatore, do visit him and you will realize that you are in safe hands. Note: This is not a paid review. Just a tribute from heart!
Green Gram Rice Mash for babies Recipe – Ingredients
Green gram/Pachai payaru – 1 tbsp
Rice – 1 tbsp
Water – 1 + 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
Roasted jeera powder – 1/8 tsp
Garlic – 1 clove
1.Take green gram and rice together in a bowl and wash with water.2.Rub well using fingers and wash it twice or thrice. Once the water is clear, take rice and green gram from water and transfer to another bowl, leaving any dirt in the water.3.Measure and fill clean water and let it soak for 30 mins. After half an hour, pour the soaked content along with water into a pressure cooker. Add a garlic clove, generous pinch of turmeric powder and roasted jeera powder.4.Cook for 7 to 10 whistles depending upon cooker. Once whistle releases naturally, open the lid. It should be mushy and cooked well. If not, add more water and cook for more whistles.5.Once cooled down, add to mixie jar and pulse it to desired consistency. Add melted ghee and mix well. Feed immediately..
- For 7-8 months baby , use 1 tsp green gram, 1 tsp rice, 3/4 cup water. Recipe same as above..
- For 8-10 months baby , add 1/8 tsp coriander powder to the above recipe. Use blender for mashing.
- For 10+ months, add 1/8 tsp pepper powder too. Use potato masher or mathu for mashing.
- For 12+ months, add 1/4 green chilli(with seeds removed) too. Use spoon/hand for mashing.
- Start with 1 tsp ingredients and then gradually move to 1 tbsp ingredients as per your baby’s appetite.
- Do not add salt until your baby turns 1.
Green gram/Pachai payaru – Dietary Fiber, Protein , Iron , Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Vitamin C