You would have now been prescribed for Calcium, Iron and Folic acid supplements. Our ancestors have already prescribed this in the form of food but not tablets. Ragi porridge is a unique combination of these minerals. A healthy homemade supplement to complement your conception. Wishing you a Healthy & Happy Pregnancy 😉
Ragi Koozh Recipe – Ingredients
Finger Millet Flour – 1 cup
Water – 3 cups
Curd – 2 cups
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Perl Onions- 10
1. Take a cup of Ragi flour and mix it with 2 cups of plain water. Mix with hand and make sure there are no lumps.2. Boil 1 cup of water in a thick-bottomed pan. Once bubbles up, add just mixed Ragi water to it.3. It will start forming lumps. Just simmer and keep stirring. Do not afraid as this lumps will vanish quickly and form a shiny aromatic stuff! Keep stirring for 12 to 15 mins until Ragi is cooked well. Once done, switch off the stove and let the kali cool down.4. Grease your hand with water and make round shaped balls. This is called Ragi/Keppai kali and you can eat this with Sambar, Fish/Dry-fish(karuvaadu) curry or any tamarind based curry.
5. The water soaked overnight would have developed good bacterias. Add curd and soaked water in a wide bowl and mix using mathu(ladle to make buttermilk from curd) to make mour(buttermilk). Stop once it is frothy and no curdles found. If you mix more, you will end up in butter 😉6. Take the balls, squeeze in your hand and mix well in the buttermilk.7. Mix thoroughly so that no lumps are formed. Cut pearl onions and add to it.Delicious and healthy Ragi koozh is ready to relish !
- Some people do not add cut pearl onions in koozh. They just drink the koozh and for each gulp, they enjoy a bite of pearl onion. Choose your style 😉
- Use earthen/clay pot(Man chatti) to keep Ragi kali soaked so that the koozh will be chilled naturally & also the special aroma of earthenware is incomparable!
- Use homemade Ragi flour. Pick out the specks in Ragi and wash it thrice in water. Spread it in a wide plate and dry in sun for 2 to 3 days. Grind it in mill and your homemade healthy and clean Ragi flour is ready. You can enjoy more varieties like Ragi koozh, puttu, dosa, idiyappam, murukku, laddoo …
- After making kali, in warm milk, add a tsp of curd and keep closed so that fresh homemade curd will be ready in the morning to mix.
- Do try this and I am sure you will add this to your weekly menu! Not only Pregnant ladies, the whole family can enjoy this easy and healthy breakfast. Scroll down to check out the valuable nutrition in this diet!
Finger Millet – Protein, Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium, Iron, Polyphenols, Amino acids, Folic acid, Vitamins A&B
Curd – Vitamins B&C, Calcium, Protein, Folates, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Selenium, Magnesium
Onions – Vitamins B&C, Fiber, Calcium, Iron, Potassium & other minerals