After 6 months, babies need extra nutrients in addition to mother’s milk. Feeding first liquids to babies is always more exciting. As the initial input to the lil tummy is very less, be wiser in choosing highly nutritious portions.
Being a newbie, it is a challenging chore for the tiny digestive system to digest new stuffs. To help the lil one, we introduce liquids first and then gradually move to fluids and finally to solids.
Clear greens soup is a good choice to start after Apple soup and Lentils soup. Being rich in proteins, vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants, just a small portion of greens soup provides the needed nutriments for your baby. I always recommend growing greens @home for babies. I have used my home-grown Thandu keerai for this recipe.
Greens Soup for babies Recipe – Ingredients
Greens – Handful
Cumin Seeds/Jeeragam – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
Water – 1/2 cup
1.Pluck/Buy greens and wash well. 2.Cut them roughly and add to pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and turmeric powder.3.Add water and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Let the pressure release naturally.4.Strain the soup through a filter. Squeeze out till the last drop. Clear greens soup is ready. Feed it warm !
- Instead of pressure cooking, you can just cook in a closed vessel for 5-10 mins in medium flame.
- Any variety of fresh greens can be used in this recipe.
- If you buy greens outside, pls follow these steps(click) to clean.
- A spoonful of washed moong dal(Paasi paruppu), a pinch of asafoetida or a garlic pod can be added along with greens and other listed ingredients. In such case, allow to cook for an extra whistle. This recipe is called paruppu keerai thanni(dal+greens soup).
- Adding salt in food for babies below 1 year is not recommended.
- This soup can be given from 4 months. Warning! Mother’s milk is sufficient for babies till 6 months. Think twice and discuss with your Paed before starting other food!
- Refer here(click) to know how to sterilize baby feeding utensils.
Thandu keerai – Protein, Fiber, Calcium, Phosphorus, Iron, Potassium, Vitamins B & C