Sundaikkaai/Turkey Berries are naturally manufactured green capsules prescribed for many health conditions including Cold, Asthma, Anemia, Diabetics, Deworming and Digestion problems. It is used as a supplement to strengthen nerves and bones.
It is also said to increase lactation. In pregnancy, this can be consumed once in a month to increase red blood count. Dads to be excuse as this is considered as a food contraceptive for males. Encourage kids to eat this to kick out worms. My kid eats these berries when sneaked inside curd rice.
We have a Turkey Berry plant just in front of our house @Coimbatore. Just one plant produces enormous bunches of berries to supply for a big family for the whole year. Plant one for your family and say bye to diabetes! This is also available in farmer’s market(Uzhavar sandhai).
Sundaikkai Puli Kuzhambu Recipe – Ingredients
Turkey Berry/Sundaikkai – 1 Cup
Small Onions – 1 Cup
Garlic – 1/4 Cup
Tomato – 1
Tamarind – big gooseberry(nellikkai)-sized
Coconut – 5 pieces
Curry Leaves – Few
Coriander Leaves – Few
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Sambar/Gravy Powder – 1.5 tbsp
Asafoetida – a generous pinch
Rock Salt – 1 tsp(Or as required)
Gingelly Oil/Nallennai – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Bengal gram(Kadalai paruppu) – 1/2 tsp
Urad dal(Ulutham paruppu) – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek/Vendhayam/Methi seeds – 1/4 tsp
1.Peel onions, garlic and keep the other ingredients ready. Wash Turkey berries and drop a handful into mortar.2.Slightly crush with pestle and transfer to a bowl. Repeat this in batches for all berries.3.Put it in a bowl of water to wash away the seeds(partially). Take out the berries and keep ready. Drop a gooseberry(nellikkai)-sized tamarind ball into warm water. 4.After 10-15 mins of soaking, rinse it well with fingers until it disperses well. Strain the tamarind extract through your fingers and throw away the pulp and seeds.5.In hot gingelly oil, add mustard seeds. Once spluttered, add Bengal gram, urad dal and methi seeds. Once slightly browned, add curry leaves, onions and garlic pods.6.Once onion and garlic are fried well, add chopped tomato and coriander leaves. Saute till oil separates.7.Add crushed and cleaned Turkey berries and fry for 2 mins. Add a pinch of turmeric powder.8.Add sambar/gravy powder and a pinch of asafoetida. Fry for few seconds.9.Add water and cook covered for 10 mins in medium high flame.10.Add tamarind extract and cook covered for 5 mins. Take coconut pieces and add to mixie jar.11.Grind coconut with lil water to make a smooth paste. Add coconut paste and salt to the boiling gravy.12.Cook covered for 10 mins until gravy thickens and oil separates. Healthy and tasty Turkey Berry gravy is ready.
- You shall replace sambar powder with your gravy powder. Or just add 3/4tbsp dhaniya powder + 3/4tbsp plain chilli powder+ 1 pinch turmeric powder + 1 pinch Jeera powder +1 pinch pepper powder.
- Select tender berries as they won’t taste too bitter.
- If not using Mortar and Pestle, just slightly cut each berry and drop in water to wash away some seeds to reduce the bitterness.
- Do not wash away all the seeds as seeds are the real medicine.
- For diabetics, decrease the amount of coconut and oil.
- While making specially for feeding moms, you shall decrease tamarind as more tamarind is not recommended for the yet-recovering uterus. You shall still increase methi seeds and garlic to boost lactation.
Turkey Berries – Vitamins A&C, Iron, Calcium, Fiber