Better butter is always homemade. Diwali month started and the festive to-do list expands. Before planning for diwali snacks, we need butter for murukku and ghee for sweets. First let’s make these both ready and keep handy.
Btw, I clicked this for Krishna Jeyanthi, but couldn’t publish here as I sold it out to Chellamaey magazine at that time.
Butter is said to promote fertility both in men and women. Vitamin D present in butter is essential for calcium absorption and so pregnant ladies and lactating moms can opt for this. Good fat in butter is recommended for children’s brain and nervous system development. You shall start including butter after introducing solids(7+ months) to babies.
Homemade Butter Recipe – Ingredients
Cream of Milk and Curd – 1 cup
Water – 1 cup
1.Collecting cream from milk: Once boiled, leave the milk untouched for an hour or so. After some time, you could see cream/malaai on the top. Just collect it to a tiffin box, close it with lid and keep refrigerated.
2.Collecting cream from curd: Before you use your curd, collect the top cream layer and save it in the same box where milk cream is being collected.
3. After 10-15 days, once the box is full, take out the tiffin box from refrigeration and keep it out for 8 hrs or whole night. After 8 hrs, empty the box to a large bowl and add a cup of water. Using mathu, twist to and fro in quick actions, holding the handle between your palms.4.Keep twisting until butter and water(buttermilk) starts to separate as in the middle pic in below thumbnail. At that stage, just twist in the buttermilk side so that butter settles in one side. Stop twisting, once the water has no visible fat.5.Collect the butter and drop it in a bowl of water. Rinse it twice and transfer to another bowl. Homemade butter is ready. Store in a clean container with lid and refrigerate.
- I used pure cow’s milk and curd and so my creams are yellowish. You shall use any brand of store-bought Full fat Whole milk.
- I recommend collecting creams both from milk and curd so that your butter and ghee will be more aromatic.
- Whenever I find cream, I collect it. Even the cream settled in glass of milk will not be wasted 😉
- It would take 10-15 mins to churn out the butter.
Butter – Good Fats, Protein , Calcium, Phosphorus, Selenium, Folates, Vitamins A,B,D,E&K