kids run miles away on seeing bittergourd in plate ? No worries!! We shall make bitter gourd, a better gourd!! Here is a sneaky way to make them eat with ease. Do try this recipe and declare it as egg rice to bittergourd-haters.. See the magic!
When introducing to kids, first start with 1 piece of bittergourd. Then, increase the quantity gradually and judge your kid’s acceptable quantity. My kid accepts 1/2 bittergourd in this recipe. My cousin’s kid accepts just 1/4. So, the quantity of bittergourd to be added depends upon your kid’s tastebuds. Even small amount is appreciated as something is better than nothing 😉
Bitter gourd kicks out intestinal worms, purifies blood, balances blood sugar and also boosts immunity. Bittergourd is believed to increase milk secretion in Lactating Moms. Follow the recipe to the T for perfect result..
- Onion - 1
- Tomato - 1
- Bittergourd - ½
- Carrot - ½
- Coriander leaves - Few
- Egg - 1
- Pepper Powder - ¼ tsp
- Salt - ⅛ tsp
- Cooked Rice - 1 cup
- Virgin Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard/Kadugu - ¼ tsp
1.Wash and chop onion, tomato, carrot, bittergourd and coriander leaves. Add chopped carrot and bittergourd to mixie jar.2.Grind the veggies without adding water and keep ready. Heat coconut oil and add mustard seeds. Once spluttered, add chopped onion.3.Once onions turn transluscent, add bittergourd carrot paste. Saute well until raw smell leaves. It might take 5 mins.4.Add chopped tomato, fry for a minute. Close with a lid and cook in low flame. Stir intermittently and continue closed cooking until tomatoes turn mushy and oil separates.5.Pour out an egg from the shell and beat well. 6.Add beaten egg, salt and pepper powder. Fry well until egg is cooked completely.7.Then add cooked rice(I have added ordinary rice. Use Basmati rice for more flavor), coriander leaves and mix well. Switch off the flame.
- Every single ingredient is mandatory in this recipe. Do not skip any.
- I recommend grinding the veggies as the bitter taste is felt when bitten. Grinding will avoid biting bitter pieces and with the help of all other ingredients, the bitterness will subside.
- If your mixie doesn’t grind the veggies well, you shall add a tablespoon of water to grind well. But make sure it is sauteed dry before adding eggs.
- To make it spicy, add slit green chillies along with onions and also increase pepper powder.
- Prefer country eggs(Naatu kozhi Muttai)/brown eggs.
- You shall add a pinch of roasted jeera powder(at the time of adding pepper powder) for added flavor.
- Virgin coconut oil can be replaced by ordinary coconut oil or any cooking oil. But coconut oil gives nice flavor to this dish.
- If you wish to do this in more quantity for the entire family, use 2 onions, 2 tomatoes, 4 eggs, 1 bittergourd, 2 carrots, 1 cup uncooked basmati rice measure.
Bitter Gourd – Dietary Fiber, Proteins, Folates, Potassium, Magnesium, Zinc, Calcium, Iron, Beta-Carotenes, Vitamins A,B&C
Leave a Reply