Every season gives us something special. Our tradition teaches us to relish those special offerings in the name of “Custom”. Such a practice is swallowing this neem flower banana on Ugadi(Telugu New Year).
Along with many health benefits, Neem flower expel intestinal worms and cleanses digestive system. Sweet is mixed to dominate the bitterness of Neem. Only warning is not to bite it. Just swallow in empty stomach to wash out the worms. I assure you won’t feel the bitterness if swallowed. My kid Nilaa swallows with ease and asks for another spoon;) Do try on this Ugadi(April 8 2016) Morning.
Caution: Moms-to-be please avoid this as Neem flower is considered to be a “Female Contraceptive“.
Veppam Poo Pazham Recipe – Ingredients
Neem Flower – 1 tbsp
Cane Sugar/Karumbu Sarkkarai/Naattu Chakkarai – 1 tbsp
Banana – 2 medium-sized
1.Wash neem flowers along with the stalk. Remove flowers and buds from the stalk. Peel off banana and cut into pieces.2.Add neem flowers and cane sugar to banana. Mash it well with hand. Healthy traditional neem flower banana sweet is ready to swallow !
- Washing with the stalk is easy and so recommending it.
- Use any sweet banana variety.
- Just one table spoon per person will suffice.
- Customarily, this will be gobbled on “Panguni Uthram” or on “Ugadi”.
- White Pumpkin(Ash gourd) Seeds powder is also used to expel intestinal worms. Click here to know how to prepare pumpkin seeds powder ?
Neem Flower – Anthelmintic(Antiparasitic that expel parasitic worms), Antifungal, Antibacterial, and Antiviral in nature
Banana – Dietary fiber, Protein, Potassium, Magnesium, Iron, Vitamins A,B&C and various antioxidants