Two interesting facts about tomatoes .. 1.Botanically, Tomato is a fruit! 2.Cooked tomato does good than raw ones as good chemicals are released while cooking!
Tomato has heart-friendly antioxidant too. What more reasons required to have a healthy sip ?! Babies are not recommended to have tamarind under 1 year of age. Try this tamarind-free tomato rasam today for your tiny tot!
I wished to click this in front of my tomato plant but it was amidst other plants posing threats to compose my shot there! I just plucked a sprig and used it for the clicks!
Tomato Rasam Recipe – Ingredients
Ripe Tomato – 2
Water – 1 1/4 cup
Garlic pod – 1 big
Asafoetida – a generous pinch
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Pepper/Milagu – 6
Cumin seeds/Jeeragam – 1/4 tsp
Mustard/Kadugu – 1/4 tsp
Ghee or Gingelly oil – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Coriander leaves – few
1.Wash and cut tomatoes and coriander leaves. Peel the skin of garlic. Soak tomatoes in hot water for 5 mins.2.Mash tomatoes well with hand. Filter through hand and discard the skin and seeds.3.Add a pinch of asafoetida and turmeric powder to tomato extract. Add pepper, cumin seeds and garlic pod to mixie jar.4.Grind it for 2-3 pulses. Heat a kadai, add ghee and once hot, add mustard seeds.5.Once spluttered, add curry leaves. Pour in the tomato extract and allow it to boil well.6.After 5 mins, add ground mix and corriander leaves. Boil it for 1 more min and switch off.Flavorful tomato rasam is ready ! Mix with mashed rice and feed it to baby.. You too have a sip with a dust of salt and pepper!
- As I have repeatedly mentioned, I don’t prefer adding salt for babies below 1 year.
- If you prefer this rasam rice for dinner, then replace ghee with gingelly oil for proper digestion at night.
- You shall add pepper powder and Jeera powder instead of grinding. Garlic can be just crushed and added.
- You shall add coriander leaves without chopping as it would be easy for you to discard when giving for tiny babies.
- If you don’t wish to have any solids in your babies’ food, you shall filter just to extract the liquid.
- Adults can use this flavorful rasam just by adding salt and some more pepper. You shall have it with rice or enjoy as such as soup.
Tomato – Vitamins A,B&C, Fiber, Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium, Iron