The climate is so chill and any hot snacks for the heavenly evening would match the monsoon ! What about a tasty medicinal snack for the whole family ?!
In Tamil custom, we strongly believe “Food is Medicine” and our ancestral practice of seasonal foods were cleverly created to cope up the climatic conditions and its associated syndromes.
This karpuravalli bajji is a sample to justify the same. The tasty bajji appeases your taste buds… The hot bajji satisfies your warmth quench for the icy evening… The medicinal bajji cures your sour throat in this cold climate… What more is required ?? Try this easy recipe 🙂
Do grow Oregano plant in your home garden/balcony. It requires less water and sunlight. Just pluck a part of stem(root is not required) with 2-3 leaves and plant in a small pot or shopping cover and thats it.. You own a medicinal herb @ home 🙂
Even pregnant ladies can take this herb. For children under 2 years, lactating moms can take this and feed it to baby via breast milk. Kids(2+ years) would love to grab their share! Over to the recipe …
Oregano bajji Recipe – Ingredients
Oregano Leaves- 10
Gram/Besan flour/Kadala maavu- 1/4 cup
Corn flour/Chozha maavu- 1 tbsp
Raw rice flour/Pacharisi maavu- 1 tbsp
Asafoetida/Perungaayam- 1 pinch
Salt- 1/4 tsp
Chillie Powder- 1/4 tsp
Water- 1/4 cup
Oil- To deep fry
1. Wash the leaves in water and place it in a dry plate.
2. Take 1/4 cup of besan flour in a mixing bowl.3. Add corn flour, raw rice flour and a generous pinch of asafoetida.4. Add required salt and chilli powder.5. Add water and mix well. The batter should neither be watery nor be too thick.
6. Pour oil in a kadai and let it be hot enough to deep fry. Take the leaf holding the stalk and dip one side in the batter.
7. Turn over and dip the other side. Gently wipe the bottom of the leaf against the bowl to get rid of dripping batter. Gently, drop the leaf into hot oil.8. Deep fry and turn over after some time. When the bubbles and noise are reduced, take out the bajjis using perforated/holed ladle. Collect them in tissue paper. Hot and healthy bajjis are ready to be served! Enjoy with coconut chutney..
- Wash leaves and preferably place it over a kitchen towel so that it do not drip water that might make the batter watery.
- Please do not add artificial colors.
- This bajji puffs well without using cooking soda and so avoid it.
- You can increase chilli powder if you want a spicy version.
- You shall add some pepper powder too.
Oregano Leaves – Fiber, Iron, Calcium, Omega fatty acids, Manganese, Antioxidants, Vitamins K & E
will try n let u know how it was.
I tried this.. was really good..
Tried this.. came out really well.. tasty tasty..
@Anonymous, Thank you for trying.. Keep following this space for more healthy varieties…