With the prayers for faster recovery of Chennai, I dedicate this post to Chennai people. As an after effect of flood, water/food contamination are threatening to cause diarrhoea, vomiting and food poisoning.
As many hospitals are still reforming and many doctors have temporarily relocated out of Chennai, there seems to be long queues seeking medical support.
Please do follow precautionary actions such as
- Drink boiled water. Refer my earlier article on clean water.
- Eat hot/warm food
- Avoid packaged/stored food as they would have been contaminated due to lack of power
- Wash hands with soap/antiseptic liquid before cooking/eating food
- Avoid non-veg for few days as you have threats to get flood-killed hens and goats
In spite of this, if you are affected with diarrhoea/vomiting, try this easy mint water at home on the first day. If its not a serious issue, just this tonic would cure your discomfort. This is an one-time tonic and if your symptoms continue in the next day, then you shall rush to your physician.
My MIL‘s sister Mrs.Shenbagam Muthusamy introduced this to me and this really does magic. From then, I do follow this whenever there is a symptom of loose motion and/or vomiting. This is a pregnancy-safe drink. I have given this to my kid too after 2+ years. I have seen this working 3 out of 4 times ! Anyways, we usually note the frequency on the first day and goto doctor on the second day. So, no harm in trying this harmless herbal water on the first day.
Herbal Mint Tonic Recipe – Ingredients
Mint Leaves – Handful
Water – 3/4 cup
1.Pluck the fresh leaves from stem. Plant the stems in soil to grow your own mint plants. Wash the leaves thrice in water.2.In a pan, fry leaves(no oil) for few seconds until they shrink. Then add water.3.Let it boil well until the water is nearly halved.4.Once done, switch off and filter the contents. Squeeze the leaves to extract full water. Drink warm and let the problem causing stuff(inside your stomach) be pushed out!
- For kids, give just 2 spoons.
- If kid resists to drink this, you shall add sweetener like honey(after boiling) or palm jaggery(while boiling).
- Once prepared, drink immediately.
- Use fresh mint leaves.
Mint Leaves – Phosphorus, Zinc, Dietary Fiber, Vitamins A,B,C, Folates, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Copper and Manganese