Kerala Matta Rice or Palakkadan Matta Rice is Red Parboiled Rice rich in fibre, antioxidants, minerals and vitamins. Matta Rice Porridge is a healthy wholesome food for growing babies.
Little one’s lil tummy demands lil food. So, giving nutritious portions is our responsibility. Say no to white rice, which are just fillers. Switch to Matta/Red rice for nourishing treats !!
Lots of thanks and loads of kisses to my pretty & kutty neighbor Ishaani for sharing her cute pink toys for these photos 🙂
Matta Rice Porridge Recipe – Ingredients
Kerala Matta Rice – 1 tbsp
Water – 1 cup
Preparation – How to make Matta Rice Porridge for babies ?
1.Take a tbsp of Kerala Matta rice/Red Rice and wash well.2.Soak for 1 hour. Transfer rice to a pressure cooker. Add a cup of water to it.3. Pressure cook for 2 whistles in high heat(#8 in stove knob) and 25 mins in medium heat(#4 in stove knob).4.Though the rice looks in shape, if you take one and press between your fingers, it would turn mushy, if cooked thoroughly.5.Cool down completely and grind in mixie along with cooked water in it. Add a drop of melted ghee and feed.
Tips/Tricks in making Kerala Matta Rice Porridge for babies
- You shall add breast milk or formula to thin down and for added flavor.
- Do not waste the cooked water as it has more minerals in it.
- Minimum one hour soaking is required. You shall soak for more time too. Overnight soaking can also be done.
- Hand blender can be used for 10+ months babies.
- Salt is not recommended for babies below 1 year. Click here to see why ?
Nutritional Benefits in Matta Rice Porridge for babies
Matta Rice – Dietary Fiber, Protein, Magnesium, Calcium, Zinc, Manganese, Selenium, Iron, Vitamin B6