Though it demands time and patience in the making, it actually saves your time once made ready. Yes, you could make the healthiest breakfast in just 5 mins for your next 6 months 😉
You start multigrain porridge when your baby turns 1 so that the yet developing taste buds get accustomed to this taste and do not deny anymore. If you introduce after 2 years of age, there is a probability not to accept the taste. So, do start when she is still a baby and avoid the tug of war in the future.
Babies Sathu Maavu Recipe – Ingredients
Green gram/Pachai payiru – 250g
Pearl Millet/Kambu – 250g
Finger Millet/Ragi – 250g
Sorghum/Solam – 250g
Samba Wheat – 250g
Barley Rice – 50g
Boiled Rice/Pulungal Arisi – 200g
Fried Chana Dal – 200g
Almonds/Badam – 100g
Cashewnuts – 100g
Cardamom/Aelakkaai – 5 pieces
Please refer to Kids/adults multigrain powder(link) already posted. The procedure is same. Just the ingredients are less for babies below 2 years. Peanuts, Maize, Soya & Red rice are recommended to be introduced after 2 years of age. Though red rice & peanuts can be given before 2 years, including it in this powder makes it lil heavy for babies to digest. Do not skip boiled rice as it gives a good taste for the babies to start with! Please make sure that you have given and tested each ingredient separately to the baby before giving this mix. Click here(link) to know how to make porridge with this powder?
- From 4(ideally 6) months(completed) to 7 months(till it completes) babies, the best choice is Finger millet milk porridge/Ragi paal kanji (link).
- For 8 months(running) to 10 months(till it completes) babies, give whole ragi porridge. Sprouting(optional) increases the nutritional value of the porridge(Click here for sprouted ragi porridge link). Ragi idlis are too nutritious as fermentation multiplies the nutrition in it. From 7 months(completed) ragi idlis can be given after introducing normal rice idlis.
- For 10 months(completed) to 12 months(till it completes), the above mentioned(in this post) multigrain powder can be given, but decrease the amount of nuts. Also, include pearl millet/kambu and sorghum/solam, only if baby started to walk.
- For 1-2 years, you shall give all the ingredients mentioned as per this post.
- For 2+ year, click here(link) to know additional ingredients.