Millet curd rice is easy to make, tasty and a nutritious lunch. I have already posted creamy curd rice recipe(link) using white rice. This Millet curd rice tastes similar to the one made with white rice. You can’t find much difference in taste and texture. If you are new to millets, curd rice is the first best option to try with Millets as you won’t be disappointed with it. All these 3 millets go well with this recipe with same measurements – Saamai/Little millet, Varagu/Kodo Millet, Kudhiraivaali/Barnyard Millet. While cooking millets to make it as a variety rice like curd rice/lemon rice/tamarind rice/pulao, avoid cooker as it might turn very dry and also form lumps. Use pot cooking as followed in this recipe for lump-free Millet rice.
Preparation – How to make Millet Curd Rice?
- Millet - 1 cup
- Water - 3 cups
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Curd - 3 cups
- Milk - 1 or 2 cups(Optional)
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds/Kadugu – ¼ tsp
- Urad dal/Ulutham paruppu – ½ tsp
- Channa dal/Kadalai Parupu – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida/Perungaaya thool – a generous pinch
- Green chilli – 2 or 3
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Curry leaves – Few
- Coriander leaves – Few
- Soak 1 cup Millet in water for minimum 1 hour. Soaking the millet is very important to eliminate anti-nutrients present in it. Do not skip soaking. Wash the millets twice or thrice.
- Add 3 cups of water and 1 tsp salt to a pan and cook in high flame with a closed lid.
- Once water starts to rolling boil, add washed millet to the pan. Carefully transfer the millet to the pan, leaving the sand/stones settled in the water. There might be lil sand/stone in the bottom of the bowl and so be careful while transferring the last few millets.
- After transferring the millets, cook closed in high flame for 3 mins. Once it starts to rolling boil again, simmer the stove and let it cook covered for 10 mins. After 10 mins, switch off the stove, move the pan and keep it closed for 5 mins. Then open it, use a ladle to mash it well without any lumps.
- Wash and cut green chilli, ginger(without skin) and coriander leaves. Wash curry leaves and keep ready. In a big pan, add a tbsp of oil. Once hot, add mustard seeds. Once spluttered, simmer the stove and add 1 tsp channa dal and ½ tsp urad dal. Once slightly browned, add a generous pinch of asafoetida.
- Add curry leaves, green chilli and ginger pieces. Saute for a minute and then add coriander leaves and saute for 2-3 seconds.
- Add mashed millet rice and fry well for a minute or two in low flame. Switch off the stove. Then add 3 cups of curd.
- Add curd and mix well. You can serve this immediately or within 2 hours. If you are packing for lunch in summer time, then add 1 or 2 cups of warm(not hot) boiled milk.
- Mix well that it looks watery. Taste and add more salt, if required and mix again.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves and keep closed(undisturbed) for 3 to 4 hours. After 4 hours, open and mix once and serve.. Creamy and tasty Millet Curd Rice is ready. Top with fried Cashews/fresh Pomegranate seeds/sweet Pineapple/Grapes pieces..
2.If your curd is sour, add less curd and increase milk.
3.If you want to make instant curd rice, use more fresh curd and skip milk.
4.If you are using maa inji(Mango ginger), then you shall grate and add it in place of ginger.
5.You can use any of these 3 millets in this recipe - Saamai/Little millet, Varagu/Kodo Millet, Kudhiraivaali/Barnyard Millet.
Leave a Reply